Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Because it's best for kids

In order to grow professionally, one must become uncomfortable in what they are doing.  This is why many teachers change grades, add responsibilities to their work load or change positions in the district.  One way I am growing this year is by adding technology to my instruction.  I am not one to automatically think about using technology, and this year I have been challenged to think outside my normal way of doing things to enrich my students with the use of IPADs. 

I must admit, when I was first told about this IPAD initiative, I was a little skeptical.  Why fix something that isn’t broken?  And if the lessons and activities have been giving me the results I am wanting, why should I change?  And then it hit me…….”what’s best for kids.”  This is a motto I live by when I am teaching and it’s a motto I think we should consider when we are planning lessons for our students.   Whether we like it or not, technology is here to stay and our students are using some form of it every day.  It only makes sense to use technology for some of our instruction so that students will be interested and engaged in what I am trying to teach. 

Slowly but surely, I have begun to incorporate technology use into my classroom.  Students use a variety of apps daily for recalling and applying information.  We have a class Edmodo for classroom conversations.  I will post a question or two about their daily reading and the students respond weekly using correct punctuation, capitalization and grammar.  Kahoot is a favorite app that students get can involve and compete against each other.  I love seeing the excitement when they are engaged……and it’s because I am using technology.  Don’t get me wrong, I could use the same process with whiteboards and EXPO markers, but I doubt I will get the same energy. 


Because I have high expectations to live up to, I understand I cannot let go of everything I have done in the past to get good scores.  However, I realize that those good scores will only get higher with student motivation.  And what could be more motivating than allowing students to explore their learning through technology?  So, bring on the devices!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your reflections, Kristin! Please let us know how else we can support your with your classroom goals for technology integration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you focus on "what's best for kids." It's not always easy for us adults, but sometimes change is the right thing to do!

    ReplyDelete