Friday, September 11, 2015

Pic Collage with First Graders

When I first found out our campus was going to receive iPads for the classroom, I was excited and terrified at the same time.  I was not a technology person and had no clue about iPads. Seriously, upgraded to a iphone in early 2014 from the old slider phones.

So I made the choice to embrace the technology world and dove right in the first week of school with my first graders using the iPads.  I divided the class into five groups and we went on an American symbol scavenger hunt around campus.  The students each took a turn taking a picture of the symbol that they had found. We came back to class and shared the pictures with each group of the items they found.  This was a great activity because they all got a chance to use the iPad.  I was thrilled that we all actually did a great job with this activity. 

Since they did a great job using the camera feature, I introduced the pic collage app to them the third week of school.   We used this app as a noun sorting activity.   First thing I did, was to take a picture of a paper with three columns labeled person, place and thing (Thanks to Jacque Prater) and saved it as a background on pic collage.  I then gave instructions to take pictures of nouns around the room with their groups.  I also went around and took pictures and offered help as needed.  After some time, the class sat down back at their tables.  I showed them the iPad on the projector modeling how to move the pictures from the camera roll to the pic collage background.  They were doing this along with me and taking turns getting their pictures off the camera roll to the pic collage background.  The next step was showing them how to move/sort the pictures into the correct column on the chart.   All I can say is WOW!   It was a long learning process but we all did it together and it turned out great!!!

So after three weeks of school, I'm no longer terrified of technology in the classroom.  It is an amazing educational tool for students and teachers.   


















1 comment:

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing!! I love the template as a background!

    ReplyDelete