Monday, September 28, 2015

Using Haiku Deck in Writing

Hey Y'all!
Well I'm a week late, but that's the story of my life!  I have to admit I was a little bit leery about integrating so much technology into my daily classroom life.  That might surprise you when you learn that I was part of the Speed 21 initiative last year.  I have already had iPads for a year, but I never felt like I got enough training on how to utilize them effectively. However, I consider myself a fairly innovative and adaptable teacher, so I guess it is time to dive in!


At the beginning of the year, I came up with three main criteria for using the iPads in my class:
1. It could not just be busy work (basically a digital worksheet).
2. It could not waste valuable learning time.
3. It had to be purposeful and meaningful.

After dabbling with a few apps and websites with my kids, I was impressed by how well they were able to navigate the iPads.  It is second nature to them because most of them have been using a tablet of some sort since they were itty bitty.

This week, we tried some writing using the Haiku Deck app as our publishing tool.  We've been working on some lessons out of the Empowering Writers book dealing with elaborative detail.  The students were ready for some independent practice, so I put them with a partner and an iPad (I have 12 thanks to Speed 21).  I quickly modeled how to search for a stock photo in the app.  We used "child" as our search word.  The stock photos in Haiku Deck are beautiful and there are LOTS to choose from.  I love that the kids don't have to do an Internet search for pictures which can get a little dicey.

Each group picked a photo that they thought was interesting, set it as the background of their slide and used bullets to write highly descriptive sentences about the child in their photo.  Some even had time to jazz up their slides with emojis!





After all of the groups had completed their slides, we set the iPads up around the room and had a gallery walk.  I challenged the students to remember one sentence from another group's writing that stood out to them and that they thought was exemplary.  To wrap up, we shared our favorite sentences with the class and bragged on each other's writing.



I asked the kids to give me some feedback on the Haiku Deck app and they loved it.  They were coming up with many new and different ways they could use it in the future.  I think Haiku Deck will become a regular in my classroom!


Emily

2 comments:

  1. Emily, I'm so impressed by your students' writing skills! Simply amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought as Dewawn. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete